Skip to content
Uncertainty and Research
- Introduction to the Research Landscape
- In this module, you will be introduced to the landscape of scientific research. Why do we perform research? Who conducts research and where do they conduct it? What different kinds of research are undertaken? Why are the various types of research important?
- Scientific Inquiry
- In this module, you will be introduced to the fundamentals of scientific inquiry. What makes an investigation scientific? How do we tell the difference between a scientific and a non-scientific inquiry?
- Scientific Method & the Research Process
- In this module, you will be introduced to the different methods of inquiry, most notably the scientific method. You will learn the terminology used in scientific inquiries and define hypotheses and theories. You will learn the steps of the research process and how the research process is scientific.
- Uncertainty & Probability
- In this module, you will learn about the different types of uncertainty and how these uncertainties are modeled. You will learn some fundamentals in probability theory, specifically conditional probabilities and Bayes’ Rule, necessary to understand how uncertainty is modeled.
- Research as an Exercise in Uncertainty Quantification (UQ)
- In this module, you will learn how the research process relates to uncertainty quantification. You will learn how to pose the research process through Bayesian hypothesis testing. You will learn how to develop a hypothesis and design a plan to test it using UQ methods.