Transistor – Field Effect Transistor and Bipolar Junction Transistor
- Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor (MOS) Device
- In this module on MOS devices, we will cover the following topics:, MOS device structure, energy band diagram for MOS device at equilibrium, Flat band condition, Accumulation, Depletion, and Inversion of MOS under bias, Energy band diagram and charge distribution for MOS in inversion, Quantitative model and relevant parameters, Energy band diagram with channel bias, Inversion layer charge, and Effect on threshold voltage of MOS in non-equilibrium, C-V characteristics: Charge distribution under different biasing conditions, C-V characteristics: Frequency dependence, Effects of oxide charge on flat band and threshold voltages in non-ideal MOS, and Types of oxide charge in non-ideal MOS.
- MOS Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET)
- In this module on MOSFETs (metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistors), we cover the following topics: History of development of MOSFETs, Device structure, Device types, Circuit symbols, Long channel theory, I-V characteristics, Modes of operation, Channel length modulation, Body bias effect, Bulk charge effect, Sub-threshold conduction, Source/drain charge sharing in short channel devices, Drain induced barrier lowering, Subsurface punchthrough, Mobility degradation, Velocity saturation, Drain current saturation, Scaling of drain current with channel length, and Scaling of speed with channel length.
- Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT)
- In this module on BJTs (bipolar junction transistors), we will cover the following topics: BJT Device structures, Energy band diagrams, Active bias, Leakage current, Recombination in base, Hoe injection, Non-uniform doping in base, Current gain, Switching with BJT, Single heterojunction bipolar transistor, Double heterojunction bipolar transistor, Non-uniform material, Early effect, Emitter bias dependence, High-level injection, Base, emitter and collector transit times, and RC time constant.