The Dynamic Earth: A Course for Educators
- Introduction & The Mystery of Geologic Time
- You will explore the ways scientists study the rock record to determine the geologic history of the Earth.
- Evolution of the Atmosphere
- You will learn how the evolution of photosynthetic life changed the concentration of oxygen in the oceans and atmosphere, and how this is reflected in the rock record. You will also become familiar with how the Next Generation Science Standards connect to this week’s content. Finally, you will complete a written assignment: an analysis of a local geologic feature.
- Plate Tectonics: Mountain Building
- You will learn how convection causes solid rock to flow in the Earth’s mantle and how the movement of the Earth’s tectonic plates forms mountains. You will also learn how to identify and address common student misconceptions about plate tectonics.
- Plate Tectonics: Earthquakes
- You will learn about earthquake risk. Using a multimedia teaching case about earthquake risk in Bangladesh, you will learn how scientists define and assess the risk from geologic events. You will also learn how to implement this or similar teaching cases with your students.