Strategic Management: From Insight to Decision
Learn how to (re)position your organization, orchestrate strategic alliances and assess strategic options from an ethical perspective. This advanced strategic management course helps you translate strategic insights into smart strategic decisions on positioning, partnering and being socially responsible:
Positioning the Firm
- How can strategy portfolios guide corporate strategy and help decision-makers scope the activities of their organization?
- How can general strategies help organizations gain competitive advantages in their industries?
- How can organizations create uncontested market space?
Orchestrating Strategic Alliances
- What is the case for cooperative strategy? When should we move from a competitive to a cooperative mindset?
- What are strategic alliances and what is their payoff?
- How can firms build and orchestrate collaborative ecosystems to enhance their (innovative) performance?
Embracing Social Responsibility
- What is the role of business in society?
- To whom are organizations responsible and for what?
- How to encourage ethical behavior and reconcile responsibility and profitability?
All key ideas from the online lectures are illustrated through a real-life case study on Tesla and its role in the technological transformation of the global automotive industry to help you better prepare for real-life situations in your company.
After completing this course you will improve your career qualifications as Business Development Manager , Sales Manager or Consultant. Professionals from the industries of Automotive , IT , Finance , Health Care , Telecommunication and the Energy sector have already completed the course.
This course is part of the "Managing Technology & Innovation: How to deal with disruptive change" MicroMasters program designed to teach the critical skills needed to be successful in this exciting field. In order to qualify for the MicroMasters Credential, you will need to earn a Verified Certificate in each of the six courses of the RWTHx MicroMasters program.
THEME 1: POSITIONING THE FIRM
Week 1: Red Ocean Strategy
- Corporate Strategy : Explore the tools that help to decide on the scope of the business.
- Generic Strategy I : Become familiar with cost leadership strategies.
- Generic Strategy II : Become familiar with differentiation strategies.
Week 2: Blue Ocean Strategy
- Blue Ocean Strategy : Understand how to create uncontested market space and make competition irrelevant.
THEME 2: ORCHESTRATING STRATEGIC ALLIANCES
Week 3: Strategic Alliances
- Alliance Purpose : Explore the concept and different types of strategic alliances.
- Alliance Pay-Off : Reflect upon the opportunities and risks of strategic alliances.
Week 4: Collaborative Networks
- Ecosystems : Uncover the key elements of effective ecosystem orchestration.
- Open Innovation : Learn about open innovation as a collaborative approach to new product development.
THEME 3: EMBRACING SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Week 5: Social Responsibility
- Business and Society : Reflect upon the role of business in society and identify its contributions to the public good.
- Corporate Social Responsibility : Unpack organizations’ broader social responsibilities
Week 6: Business Ethics
- Ethics Foundations : Review philosophical approaches that help inform ethical decision making.
- Ethics Applications : Discuss ethical decision making in the context of business practice.