Skip to content
SQL for Data Science
- Getting Started and Selecting & Retrieving Data with SQL
- In this module, you will be able to define SQL and discuss how SQL differs from other computer languages. You will be able to compare and contrast the roles of a database administrator and a data scientist, and explain the differences between one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-many relationships with databases. You will be able to use the SELECT statement and talk about some basic syntax rules. You will be able to add comments in your code and synthesize its importance.
- Filtering, Sorting, and Calculating Data with SQL
- In this module, you will be able to use several more new clauses and operators including WHERE, BETWEEN, IN, OR, NOT, LIKE, ORDER BY, and GROUP BY. You will be able to use the wildcard function to search for more specific or parts of records, including their advantages and disadvantages, and how best to use them. You will be able to discuss how to use basic math operators, as well as aggregate functions like AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, MIN, and others to begin analyzing our data.
- Subqueries and Joins in SQL
- In this module, you will be able to discuss subqueries, including their advantages and disadvantages, and when to use them. You will be able to recall the concept of a key field and discuss how these help us link data together with JOINs. You will be able to identify and define several types of JOINs, including the Cartesian join, an inner join, left and right joins, full outer joins, and a self join. You will be able to use aliases and pre-qualifiers to make your SQL code cleaner and efficient.
- Modifying and Analyzing Data with SQL
- In this module, you will be able to discuss how to modify strings by concatenating, trimming, changing the case, and using the substring function. You will be able to discuss the date and time strings specifically. You will be able to use case statements and finish this module by discussing data governance and profiling. You will also be able to apply fundamental principles when using SQL for data science. You'll be able to use tips and tricks to apply SQL in a data science context.