Social Science Approaches to the Study of Chinese Society Part 1
- What is social science?
- Welcome to Social Science Approaches to the Study of Chinese Society Part 1! Part 1 focuses on being a CONSUMER of social science research. Take some time to review the Course Overview video and the assignments for this course. In Week 1, we will explore What is Social Science. By the end of this week, you will be able to understand the differences between social science from humanities, natural and life sciences, outline the origins of social science and have a grasp of key definitions and terms.
- The Big Questions
- In Week 2, we will focus on The Big Questions. By the end of this week, you should have some sense of the range of questions that are the focus of much social science research. The next week, Week 3, will expand on China specific research.
- Social Science Research on China
- In Week 3, we will focus on Social Science Research on China. By the end of this week, you should have some sense of major topics in current social science research on China.
- The Social Science Disciplines
- In Week 4, we will focus on The Social Science Disciplines. By the end of this week, you should have a better understanding of the emphases of each of the major social science disciplines, and the differences between the disciplines.
- Study Designs
- In Week 5, we will focus on Study Designs. By the end of this week, you should understand the differences between the most common types of study, and have some sense of the settings in which each is most relevant.
- In Week 6, we will focus on Challenges. By the end of this week, you should be able to have a better understanding of key challenges to interpreting results from social science research, and be able to reflect on potential problems with study design.
- Cause and Effect
- In Week 7, we will focus on Cause and Effect. By the end of this week, you should understand the basic approaches that social scientists follow in trying to establish that an observed relationship reflects cause and effect.
- Final Exam
- You've reached the final exam week! Complete the final exam and post-course survey. Your feedback can help us improve future iterations of the course.
Good luck on the exam and hope to see you in Social Science Approaches Part 2. https://www.coursera.org/learn/social-science-research-chinese-society