Reputation Crisis? Facebook meets Cambridge Analytica
- Introduction to the MOOC and the Case Study approach
- This week, you will be introduced to the case of Facebook – Cambridge Analytica scandal: what happened, how the scandal evolved, and how the two companies were implicated. You will also get to know more about the case teaching method, and will learn how to best tackle this type of approach to learning.
After you have viewed the two videos, we invite you to read the case and complete a short quiz to test your understanding of case facts.
- Reputation Management
- This week, we will take you through the basics of corporate reputation – what it is, and why it is so vital for organizations. Moreover, this week features a discussion with two experts about data privacy, and how critical it is for all organizations in the contemporary business climate, and for big tech in particular.
- Leadership and Culture
- This week, we will look into culture and leadership, and explore its relevance for corporate reputation. More specifically, we will look at the importance of leadership in today’s dynamic business environment and highlight the key challenges facing corporate leaders. This week we also have an expert to share his knowledge and understanding about the topic.
- Governance and Whistleblowing
- This week, our focus turns to the very reason we got to know about the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica scandal. As the misconducts were brought to the daylight by the whistleblowers, Christopher Wylie and Brittany Kaiser, it highlights the critical yet contested role of whistleblowing in and for organizations and for the whistleblowers themselves.
- Corporate Responsibilities and Purpose-driven Organisations
- This week, we will tackle the final driver of reputation that is included in this course: Corporate responsibility (also known by other related terms such as citizenship, corporate social responsibility or business responsibility, etcetera). The video and readings for this week will prompt you to think about the purpose of business in society, as well as the impact of stakeholders on businesses.
- Capstone Project
- This final week brings all the previous weeks together by summarizing them and presenting learners with the assignment of the Capstone Project. In addition to the final assignment, we provide learners with additional information that they can use to inform their analysis: (a) Case Epilogue; and (b) additional perspective from the academic experts featured in earlier weeks. Please watch the videos and review this additional material before you start working on the capstone project.
Upon completion of this Project, learners will have applied the relevant knowledge about reputation management from a number of different angles, and will have analyzed the particular situation of Facebook and Cambridge Analytica scandal critically. This ensures the resources and the knowledge obtained throughout the course is brought together seamlessly and is actively used in a practical setting, ensuring that learners have gone through the materials and are able to apply it.