Recruiting, Hiring, and Onboarding Employees
- Aligning Recruitment and Selection with Company Strategy
- In this module, we create the important foundation for the course: aligning recruitment and selection practices with your overall company strategy. We apply the framework of systems theory to understand the interdependent components of the organization and how our plan is affected by internal and external environmental factors. We explore the importance of workforce planning and, finally, conclude this module with a look at the core components of the hiring process: job design, job analysis, and job descriptions.
- Recruitment: Finding the Best Candidates
- In this module, we take a look at the macro-level strategic considerations in recruiting. We also will examine what makes an effective recruiter, along with where to find prospective employees. Current issues in recruiting are discussed, such as using social media and mobile technology. We then take time to focus on important legal and ethical issues in recruiting, and we wrap up this module with a look at recruitment from a global perspective.
- Selection: Choosing the Best Candidates
- In this module, we examine the selection process. Like the first two modules, we start from the big picture - what is selection and how do we tie it to strategic goals? We then explore the important legal considerations (U.S. laws) and other best practices in selection, such as avoiding biases and conducting background checks. Next we will see a number of different selection tools you can use to make a better hiring decisions. Lastly, we wrap up the third module by creating and presenting offers to candidates, and analyzing our hiring process for effectiveness.
- Special Topic: Onboarding
- In module four we will be talking about bringing on your new hire. Having just recruited and hired a new employee, you want to be sure that new employee gets up to speed as quickly as possible and becomes an engaged and excited member of your team. Module four will talk about how to work through a great onboarding process and why that matters to an employee's engagement with the organization.