Skip to content
- Introduction to quantum mechanics
- Module 1presents an introduction to quantum mechanics at a level appropriate for those with mechanical or aerospace engineering backgrounds. Using a postulatory approach that describes the steps to follow, the Schrodinger wave equation is derived and it is showen that the time dependence can be separated and a stationary wave equation results.
- Simple Solutions of the Wave Equation
- In module 2 we solve the stationary wave equation for several simple systems. These include the particle in a box, the rigid rotator, the harmonic oscillator, and the hydrogenic atom. These simple solutions form the basisi for discussing real atomic and molecular behavior in the next module.
- Real Atomic and Molecular Behavior
- In Module 3 we explore the more realistic behavior of atoms and molecules. We also introduce and discuss numerical methods for solving the wave equation.