- Introduction to Trademark
- Welcome to this course on Protecting Business Innovations via Trademark! How do companies protect their intellectual property, creative innovations and protect their brands from being copied? Over the next three weeks you will gain insight on how companies protect their brands & trademark through trademark law, registration, lawsuit and acquisition. As you go through the materials, you may have your own trademark related questions or scenarios that pop-up, feel free to post them in the discussion forum. Take some time to review the assignments, grading and general course guidelines for this course. Week 1 will cover the basics of trademark law and why local brands sometimes can beat international well–known brands with the same trademarks.
- Trademark Global Issues and Challenges
- In this week we will look at lawsuits of iPhone and iPad trademark violations in China. Remember trademark law is local, but businesses now are facing a big challenge in e-commerce because local brands can no longer be local if they have online shops. Trademark violation becomes an international issue and creates challenges one must strategically overcome.
- Trademark Infringement and defenses
- In this week we mainly focus on trademark infringement and lawsuits which can last for more than 25 years, how judges will use trademark violations tests to evaluate infringement, and how big companies use strategy in brand acquisition to eliminate competition.
- Peer-graded Assignment
- This is the final week of the course, let's put it all together through this peer review assignment to showcase how much you have learned!