Sounds curious, I know, but I want to show you a totally unique way to paint interesting trees - full of character - using a few marks you already know very well - the alphabet.
I had a crazy idea while painting in my studio, and thought “Everyone has heard of paint by numbers, but what if you could literally paint by letters?” And so I started experimenting and the results were amazing. And this class grew and grew...
This class is for beginners, improvers, and experienced painters looking to try something new. (I mean, really, we never stop learning even when we're experienced.)
The technique can be used to paint realistically or more whimsically, it’s up to you how you use it. You'll see how to do both. Best of all, it’s dead easy and fun.
But we don't stop with the alphabet. In this class we will:
- Research and draw trees, understand how they work
- Practice 7, unique marks based on specific alphabet letters
- Mix and swatch colours for leaves and bark using a limited palette
- Put our research, colour, and marks to work with building watercolour trees
- Create a composition with our trees
- And grow in confidence through painting without a drawing
You'll get tips on creating beautiful, natural, easy bark textures, as well as additional example colour mixing advice for seasonal foliage. I also talk through a couple of topics during my demonstrations to help develop you as an artist. I know you're going to fall in love with Painting Trees with the ABCs.
I had so much fun putting this technique into a class, and I can't wait to see where you take it with your projects.
Let's get started! :)