In my 7 years as an illustrator I always get the same question. “How do you do it, is this all done in Adobe Illustrator?” And the answer is yes, but I only use the most basic common tools in Adobe Illustrator to create my work. You can do it too!
In this Skillshare class, I am going to show you how I do it and how you can create awesome, realistic illustrations by using a few basic tools and simple techniques in Adobe Illustrator. These lessons are perfect for beginners, but are also interesting for more experienced illustrators as I will be giving my personal twist on how I use these tools and share tips and tricks that will speed up your work.
What You'll Learn
- Concept and Sketching. Learn how to sketch in Adobe Illustrator using the Blob Brush tool. From the first layout sketch to the final sketch in color.
- Tracing your Sketch. Learn how to trace your sketch using the Pen Tool. I’m going to give a basic rundown of how the Pen Tool works and how you can use it to trace your sketch fast and efficient.
- Adding Detail and Color. Learn how to color your illustration realistically and use gradient to give it that extra level of depth.
- Finalizing. Showing detail is everything. We are going to work on the finishing touches to give it that oompff!
What You'll Do
You will create a final illustration piece using basic tools in Adobe Illustrator, exploring all capabilities of the blob brush. You will go from rough sketch to shapes to final rendering with efficiency and ease. You will follow along as I create a retro-inspired movie poster, capturing each step in the concepting and illustrating process.
- Deliverable. You'll create a retro-inspired digital poster for one of your favorite movies.
- Brief. What movie and concept will you interpret? How will you improve on your digital sketches? What colors will you use? Where can you add details to make your design really stand out?
- Collaboration. As you go through the class, update your project and share your progress with your fellow students. Trade movie ideas, or retake the course with a friend and design a series of fliers.
- Specs. You will create a digital flier in Adobe Illustrator.
Looking for more inspiration? Head here to discover more classes on Adobe Illustrator.