Managing ADHD, Autism, Learning Disabilities, and Concussion in School
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- In the next few lessons, you will learn broadly about attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, commonly referred to as ADHD. We will gain a deeper understanding of ADHD and common diagnoses. You will be introduced to the types of ADHD that exist and common symptoms for each. Next, you’ll explore the specific criteria for the diagnosis of ADHD. Finally, you will review at a high-level treatment therapy and intervention programs – both inside and outside school, as well as medications.
- Next up is learning about autism spectrum disorder, the effects it has on children’s social communication skills, and the percent of the population that carry a diagnosis of it. You’ll experience an interview and answer dialogue with Dr. Abigail Angulo, a Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrician at the University of Colorado. You will be introduced to the deficits in children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Next, you’ll explore symptoms and diagnosis of ASD. Finally, you’ll review the cause and management of autism.
- Learning Disabilities
- In the next few lessons, you’ll learn about learning disorders and disabilities among children. You’ll experience an interview and answer dialogue with Dr. Caitlin Walsh, a Psychologist at the University of Colorado. You will be introduced to diagnostic criteria for learning disorders and disabilities. Next, you’ll learn how a diagnosis is made and by whom. Next, you’ll explore specific types of learning disorders in children.
- Next up is a learning about concussions and the symptoms children experience. We’ll gain a deeper understanding of the negative impacts of concussions and how they affect a child’s physical, mental, and emotional health. You will be introduced to common symptoms of a concussion and how to identify one. Next, you’ll learn what to do when a child has a head injury or fall while at school. Finally, you’ll explore what happens to Matthew, a child who suffered a concussion during a football game, and how you can help in the management of a concussion.