Making Your Military Transition a Transformation
- Introduction to Making Your Military Transition a Transformation
- Welcome to Making Your Military Transition a Transformation, you are right on time! This course is built in partnership with Coursera and the USO Pathfinder Transition Program. The USO Pathfinder Program extends the USO experience to active duty, Reserve, National Guard, and military spouses by offering professional development services throughout the duration of the service member or military spouse’s career, as well as when they transition out of the military and settle into their new communities. As part of the program, USO Transition Specialists help you develop a personalized Action Plan while also helping you take full advantage of services and resources that are the best fit for you. Throughout this course, we'll share USO Pro Tips to highlight key points that'll help accelerate your transformation. Let's get started!
In this module we will discuss the purpose and benefits of this course and meet your instructor, Cory Boatwright. Then we will move into discussion of potential pitfalls during military transition.
- Transformation Part 1: Understanding Self
- In Transformation Part 1: Understanding Self you will spend time in self reflection. We will discuss some of the topics that are important to understanding yourself and then you will engage in activities to help you identify your core values and beliefs, create personal mission and vision statements to guide your transition choices, and better understand your purpose and what makes life meaningful to you.
A special message from the USO: As you embark on your transformation journey, we want to take a moment to thank you for your service and sacrifices for this country.
- Transformation Part 2: Understanding Occupations
- In Transformation Part 2: Understanding Occupations you will get an overview of the civilian workforce by comparing organizational roles in military and civilian communities, differentiating titles and levels across industries and companies, determining the opportunities most aligned with your values and beliefs, and discussing tasks and skills necessary for success.
- Transformation Part 3: Understanding How
- In Transformation Part 3: Understanding How you will explore the pathways of an employee, student, and entrepreneur, and the pros and cons each. You will also discuss a hybrid option using two or more paths at the same time.
- Transformation Part 4: Understanding Where and When
- In Transformation Part 4: Understanding Where and When you will be doing some research about "where". Where do you want to live? Where do you want to work? Which industry? Which company/organization? Where do you want to go to school? Which institution? You will evaluate your priorities by examining your geographical constraints, discussing opportunity and environmental considerations for decision making, and identifying considerations for choosing your separation date, the "when".
- Social Strategies for Transformation
- In Introduction to Social Strategies for Transformation you will get tactical tips and best practices on effectively leveraging your network by developing successful strategies for career conversations, networking strategies, and crafting your professional online presence.
- Practical Strategies for Transformation: Getting the Job You Want
- In Practical Strategies for Transformation: Getting the Job You Want you will learn how to design an effective resume, strategies for effective job applications, three effective techniques for interviews, and successful communication strategies.
- Transformation is a Journey, Not a Destination
- In Transformation is a Journey, Not a Destination you will learn how to continue your personal evolution once you've landed that job and how to find ways to continue your life of service once you separate from the military.
You'll get some effective strategies to integrate into your new job, explore ways to make meaning, find opportunities to continue your transformation, and consider ways to assist others with their transition journey.