Make a 2D Platformer Video Game with Unity and PlayMaker (no coding required) [Part 1]
Note: This is part 1 in the series: Make a 2D Platformer Video Game with Unity and PlayMaker (no coding required). Find part 2 here, part 3 here and part 4 here.
Now that Unity supports 2D games, we can make a game in one of my favorite genres – a 2D platformer! (Think Super Mario Bros. on the NES... ah those were the days!)
In this series, which is the perfect follow up from class 1 (I recommend you take at least the first 2 weeks of class 1), we’ll go over the basics of Unity 2D, sprites and animations, 2D physics, and all the controls you need to get a 2D platformer going.
And all of this without writing a line of code, thanks to the power of the awesome Unity plugin: PlayMaker!
The class at a glance:
- Bite-sized, Easy to Follow Video Lessons
- Self-Paced Online Class with Fellow Student and Teacher Support
Here’s what you’ll learn in this series (it's divided into 4 parts):
- Part 1: Introduction to 2D space in Unity
- Part 2: Introduction to our 2D platformed game and setting up player character
- Part 3: Dealing with Camera – the easy setup vs the complex setup
- Part 4: Setting up Enemies, HP, and Attack before we wrap up!
Who is This Class for?
This class is for beginners with a basic understanding of Unity and PlayMaker. If you’ve never used Unity or PlayMaker, you can start with this class first. Both courses are adult and kid-friendly! :)
What You Will Need
- 7-10 hours of free time as we dive into the process of 2D game development.
- A modern PC / Mac with 3D graphic compatibility (if you bought your computer in the past 5 years, you should be good to go.)
- A download and installation of the Unity3D game engine http://www.unity3d.com/. Don’t worry about the seemingly complicated interface, we will go over it in the class – piece of cake!
- Students will be provided a special student version of the popular Unity 3D Tool – PlayMaker. This is the tool that enables us to create games without writing code. Thanks to Hutong Games, this special student version will include ALL actions in the tool (note: student version not for commercial use).
- Commercial version of PlayMaker – we strongly recommend buying a license for PlayMaker. Although you can use the student version of PlayMaker for the class, the class is really designed with a commercial version and it allows the use of additional free add-ons and tools to make your game development life easier. It is one of our favorite #gamedev tools ever!
What Students are Saying About Brandon’s Classes
“Exactly what I needed to begin my journey into game development. I will DEFINITELY take ANY other classes taught by Brandon Wu! Thank you Brandon!!”
– Nicholas Mitchell
“Time and money well spent. I have no coding experience at all but thanks to this class I feel much more confident about game dev process. Thanks for this amazing class!”
– Sung Kim (Animator)
“Brandon Wu’s class was simply the most richest online educational experience I’ve ever had! So much content, so much detail, and so so much fun! I would recommend this class to anyone who has even the slightest of interest in how games are made. I’ve paid 50 times more for an online class, and this has been the best!”
– Brian Anderson
“Great class!! Enjoyed making the projects. The amount of information covered in 4 weeks, was just right. Instructor was knowledgeable and supportive.”
– Greg D.
- Fecha Incio:07/06/2022
- Idioma: Inglés
- Universidad: Harvard
- Certificado: Si