Introduction to XR: VR, AR, and MR Foundations
- All Aboard - How Google Cardboard Brought VR to the Masses
- The first module looks at the technologies that allowed Google to launch the now famous New York Times Google Cardboard experience and help make Virtual Reality a household name. We will also highlight how it also democratized VR development with the release of the SDK for Unity.
- From Google Cardboard to Google Earth VR
- In this module we will look at the explosion of VR related developments that have taken place since that time, with a focus on how Unity native support for VR features has rapidly evolved along with them.
- Get Ready, Get Set, Pokemon GO!
- In this module, we'll examine the technologies that led to another key moment in the history of XR—Pokemon GO—which brought Augmented Reality to the masses and made it a mainstream concept. We will highlight the technologies that AR and MR share in common with VR, and also cover additional technologies that only AR and MR use, and discuss the various AR and MR frameworks available for working with AR in Unity.
- My Implants Don’t Distinguish Between Realities
- This final module will look at the future of XR with a focus on technologies now in development that will be available in the near term, such as foveated rendering and ultra high resolution headset displays. We’ll also look at the future of Unity support for XR, and we’ll talk about the convergence of different branches of XR as technology allows products to be made that blur the distinctions.