The Introduction to Personal Financial Planning course is designed for individuals to build financial literacy, one of the most pressing needs Americans face today. Financial decisions made by individuals impact the larger community in significant ways with pervasive cost due to financial mistakes. A recent study by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) reveals over 50% of Americans have less than $10,000 saved for retirement. In addition, over 50% of Americans have no emergency fund, unable to cope with an unexpected car repair without borrowing funds. Financial literacy is an urgent need for many.
In this course, you’ll gain the basic building blocks of financial literacy to build a secure foundation for your future.
This fast-paced course prepares you to:
- Build a financial plan through a step-by-step approach designed to meet your personal financial objectives
- Understand financial planning essentials including income statements, balance sheets, and budgets
- Recognize how planning and timing impact your personal wealth over a lifetime
- Go deeper into your understanding of taxes and how tax decisions impact your wealth
- Identify obstacles to sound financial decisions, including common cognitive errors and confirmation biases
- Discover valuable resources including personal financial planners
- Explore the scope and purpose of personal finance and its role in the broader spectrum of financial knowledge
- Appreciate how positive reinforcement and research-based evidence impact your financial goals
Build your money management skills through course videos, selected short readings, and self-paced activities. You’ll gain practical skills, understand the core concepts of financial planning, and achieve a broader understanding of how personal financial planning contributes to a successful and fulfilling life.
Improve your financial situation, net worth, and retirement plan by registering for the Personal Finance Program.
Introduction to Personal Financial Planning is made possible by the Brian and Sheila Jellison Family Foundation.