Introduction to Communication Science
- The Beginnings of Communication Science
- In this introduction to the course I will briefly introduce the field of communication science and discuss some basic models that will serve as guidelines to the rest of the course. Also, they explore the historical roots of the science of communication. I will discuss the development of communication theory and the evolution of the media landscape in Antiquity, Medieval and Early Modern times.
- Technical Approaches to Communication Science
- The linear effect-oriented approach is discussed and how it developed in the twentieth century. Evolving from a belief in all-powerful effects after World War I to a more nuanced negotiated effects perspective in the sixties.
- Cultural and Social Approaches to Communication Science
- This covers theoretical approaches that understand communication processes as social and cultural forces, as building blocks of reality, and a binding element of power in society.
- Final Exam