Skip to content
Introduction to Big Data
- Welcome to the Big Data Specialization! We're excited for you to get to know us and we're looking forward to learning about you!
- Big Data: Why and Where
- Data -- it's been around (even digitally) for a while. What makes data "big" and where does this big data come from?
- Characteristics of Big Data and Dimensions of Scalability
- You may have heard of the "Big Vs". We'll give examples and descriptions of the commonly discussed 5. But, we want to propose a 6th V and we'll ask you to practice writing Big Data questions targeting this V -- value.
- Data Science: Getting Value out of Big Data
- We love science and we love computing, don't get us wrong. But the reality is we care about Big Data because it can bring value to our companies, our lives, and the world. In this module we'll introduce a 5 step process for approaching data science problems.
- Foundations for Big Data Systems and Programming
- Big Data requires new programming frameworks and systems. For this course, we don't programming knowledge or experience -- but we do want to give you a grounding in some of the key concepts.
- Systems: Getting Started with Hadoop
- Let's look at some details of Hadoop and MapReduce. Then we'll go "hands on" and actually perform a simple MapReduce task in the Cloudera VM. Pay attention - as we'll guide you in "learning by doing" in diagramming a MapReduce task as a Peer Review.