Fundamentals of Macroscopic and Microscopic Thermodynamics
- Program Introduction
- In this module we explore the basics of macroscopic thermodynamics from a postulatory point of view. In this view, the meaning of temperature, thermodynamic pressure and chemical potential are especially clear and easy to understand. In addition, the development of the Fundamental Relation and its various transformations leads to a clear path to property relations.
- Macroscopic Thermodynamics
- We then explore the relationship between atomic and molecu-lar structure and macroscopic properties by taking a statistical point of view. Using apostulatory approach, the method for doing this is made clear. This leads to the devel-opment of the partition function which describes the distribution of molecular quantumstates as a function of the independent, macroscopic thermodynamic properties.
- Microscopic Thermodynamics
- Here we explore microscopic thermodynamics from a postulatory point of view. We introduce the concept of ensembles as needed to understand the relationship between atomic and molecular structural properties and macroscopic properties. This leads to the partition function which relsates the distribution of molecular quantum states as a function of the independent, macroscopic thermodynamic properties.