Fundamentals of Audio and Music Engineering: Part 1 Musical Sound & Electronics
- Week 1 - Introduction RC & Introduction to Electrical Circuits MB
- Introduction to oscillations and sound waves, simple oscillating systems, sound pressure, sound waves, the speed of sound, wavelength, frequency and pitch, sound pressure level, loudness, making sound, properties of musical sound versus “noise”. Electronics fundamentals - charge, current, voltage, power, resistance, Ohm’s law, DC circuits, finding currents and voltages in simple circuits.
- Week 2 - Acoustic Resonance RC & Electrical Circuits MB
- Reflection and absorption of sound, resonances in air columns, resonances in enclosures and rooms, diffraction and diffusion of sound, reverberation, principles of designing a good music studio. AC signals, phase and complex numbers, capacitors, inductors, transformers, impedance, AC circuits and AC circuit analysis, simple filters (high-pass, low-pass, band-pass)
- Week 3 - Some Necessary Mathematics MB & AC Circuit Analysis
- Transistors, vacuum tubes, opamps, amplification, power gain, single-stage amplifiers.
Converting sound to electrical signals –microphones and guitar pickups, converting electrical signals to sound – loudspeakers
- Week 4 - AC Signals & Loudspeakers and Radiation RC
- Electric guitar electronics, pickup design, pickup placement and tone, volume control circuits, tone control circuits. Overview of a simple guitar amplifier, power supply, volume control, preamp, tone control, power amp section.
- Week 5 - Closed Box Loudspeaker Design RC & Ported Loudspeaker Design
- Designing speaker enclosures, basic principles, interaction of speaker driver with the cabinet, why a cabinet at all? Speaker designs for home stereo, crossover networks, guitar amplifier (open) speaker enclosures, bass amplifier (closed and vented) speaker enclosures.
- Week 6 - Guitar Pickup and Effects Analysis MB & Design and Construction of a Guitar Amplifier MB
- Building the guitar amplifier, how to solder, getting the amp to work - systematic testing and troubleshooting. Visualizing sound waves, frequency content and tone, signal modification in electro-acoustic systems, tube amplifiers and distortion, wah pedal, talk box.