Foundational Skills for Communicating About Health
- Week 1
- In Week 1, we will consider how knowing your audience and your specific goals are the critical first steps to designing effective communications.
- Week 2
- In Week 2, we will focus on developing clear takeaway messages so that communications can achieve their objectives.
- Week 3
- This week, we focus on using plain language to avoid jargon, and continue to practice finding a clear central message.
- Week 4
- In Week 4, we will learn how to use narrative forms to tell the story of science and how to think about the larger macro-structures of messages, especially when your message is designed to advocate for your central point.
- Week 5
- In Week 5, we will learn oral presentation skills, create a final written assignment summarizing a scientific article for a different audience, and (optionally) create a short video presentation for a public audience.