Finance of Mergers and Acquisitions: Valuation and Pricing
- Course Orientation and Module 1: Overview of M&A Topics and Evidence
- You will learn the basic terminology of M&A, which we will use throughout the course. You will also learn why M&A deals happen, and how to identify drivers of M&A that are truly value-enhancing. Finally, you will study the history of M&A and learn key facts about previous M&A waves.
- Module 2: Company Valuation
- What determines a company’s stock price? Placing a value on companies is a key tool for M&A analysis. This module focuses on the main methods available to estimate stock prices, including discounted cash flow valuation and multiples-based valuation. You will learn these tools using the most up-to-date Finance theory, and real-world examples.
- Module 3: The Role of Target and Acquirer Valuation in M&A
- Valuation analysis is a major part of the work that investment banks do when advising companies involved in M&A deals. You will learn that both target and acquirer valuation matter, and why. This module also focuses on what is special about the valuation and pricing of non-publicly traded targets. Finally, you will learn how to best use transaction multiples in the valuation of M&A deals.
- Module 4: Synergies and Hostile Takeovers
- This module starts with how to place a value on synergies using cash flow forecasts provided by management, and also using the stock market reaction to a new M&A deal. Next, you will also learn how to relate synergies to the premium paid for targets and how to calculate the NPV (net present value) of a deal. You will also learn the specifics of hostile takeover deals with a focus on governance, legal, and valuation issues.
- Course Conclusion