Skip to content
Ferrous Technology II
- Microstructure and phase transformation in steels I: Fundamentals
- In the following 3 courses, microstructure and phase transformation in steels will be discussed in detail with specific examples. This course in particular, covers the basic terminology, general explanation on iron-carbon system and concepts you must know to understand the phase transformation of steels.
- Microstructure and phase transformation in steels II: Non-equilibirum microstructure in steel
- This course explains the non-equilibrium microstructure, and related displacive transformation in steels. Phenomenological theory on martensite transformation will be introduced, and other concepts such as Ms temperature and bainite microstructure will be covered as well.
- Microstructure and phase transformation in steels III: Role of alloying elements in steels
- Material design based on alloying is covered in this course. Role of alloying elements in steels with respect to the control of microstructure and mechanical properties will be discussed in detail. Influence of alloying elements on phase stability, transformation kinetics, and strengthening of steels is discussed.
- Properties of steels and their applications I
- In the following 3 courses, different types of steels will be introduced with their properties and applications. This course typically covers some of the first generation steels containing conventional low strength steels and HSLA (high strength low alloy) steels. Detailed explanation on the microstructures and related properties will be treated.
- Properties of steels and their applications II
- Characteristics of acicular ferrite, micro-alloyed carbon steels, and multiphase steels will be discussed with information on their production and applications. Martensitic steels and effect of various heat treatments will also be discussed.
- Properties of steels and their applications III
- This course introduces advanced steels such as TWIP steels, and light weight steels, and explains some other steels of pearlitic steels, Si steels and tool steels. Also, property requirements for automobile parts and low temperature applications are treated.
- Stainless steels
- This course covers from the fundamental aspects to the production, physical metallurgy, corrosion and mechanical properties of stainless steels. Detailed explanation on the microstructures, corrosion and mechanical properties of different types of stainless steels will be treated.