Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 2
- Arrays and Array Functions
- In Week 1, you will learn all about arrays and array functions. You will learn how to iterate through arrays using nested For...Next loops and For Each...Next statements; you will learn how to import data to VBA from Excel and export data to Excel from VBA; you will learn how to create user-defined array functions; and you will learn about the ReDim Preserve statement for resizable arrays. Week 1 is concluded with a quiz, which unlocks Assignment 1.
- Working with strings and .txt files
- Week 2 deals with text strings and text (.txt) files. You will learn about the string functions in Excel and VBA. You will gain practice with string functions as you learn how to create functions in VBA that utilize string functions. You will learn how to extract strings, such as email addresses, from a spreadsheet of mixed string formats. You will also learn how to write information from Excel to .txt files and also to import information in .txt files to Excel. The module is concluded with a quiz and Assignment 2.
- Iterating through worksheets and workbooks
- Week 3 is all about iterating through (automating) worksheets and workbooks. You will learn how to consolidate information from multiple worksheets into a single worksheet and you will learn how to automatically consolidate information found within multiple workbooks into a single worksheet of a single workbook. The automation principles you learn in this module are priceless. Week 3 is concluded with a quiz and a very challenging assignment.
- User forms and advanced user input/output
- In Week 4, you will learn about advanced input and message boxes and event handlers. You will learn how to interface with the user in a professional manner using user forms that validate input and prevent the "debug" window and VBE from appearing. You will also learn how to place combo boxes on user forms and populate those combo boxes with information on the spreadsheet. Finally, you will learn how to put it all together and implement a solving technique (bisection method) to solve a real world problem in a user form. Week 4 is concluded with a quiz, which unlocks Assignment 4.