Engaging ELLs and Their Families in the School and Community
Descripción del Curso
In this course, you will learn how to better and more successfully engage your ELL(s) and their families in the school and community. You will learn how to engage your ELL student in the classroom setting as well as in various aspects of the school including extracurricular activities and the inner workings of the school and education system. You will also be introduced to strategies for engaging the families of your ELL students in the school community and the wider community of your city and state. You will interact with a variety of case studies that highlight teachers, schools, and communities in different cities throughout the United States and the ways in which they successfully engage ELLs and their families. From sharing their experience, you will have the tools necessary to implement strategies and procedures for engaging your ELLs and their families.
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
* Define the culture of ELLs in K-12 classrooms across the U.S.
* Recognize cultural impact on learning and formal education
* Assess your school’s engagement of ELLs and their families
* Incorporate culturally sensitive techniques to engage ELLs in the classroom and school
* Implement strategies for engaging ELLs’ families in the school and larger community
* Design a plan for engagement of ELLs and their families in your school
* Create a checklist for school and community resources for engaging ELLs and