Digital Media and Marketing Principles
- Course Overview and The Changing Landscape
- In the orientation, you will become familiar with the course, your instructor, your classmates, and our learning environment. The orientation also helps you obtain the technical skills required for the course. In the first module, we will examine marketing as a process of communication, in which businesses and marketers attempt to deliver the right message to the right person at the right moment, and listen and respond to consumers’ feedback.
- Key Processes and Core Strategies
- In the second module, we will discuss the impacts of digital media and information technologies on human communication in general and on marketing in specific. We will first define digital media in a broad scope, and then elaborate on the ways in which digital media technologies impact the key processes and functions of marketing communication.
- Smart and Social Media Channels
- In the third module, we will start with an overview of three widely adopted digital marketing strategies: online display advertising, search engine marketing, and social media marketing. Given the rapidly changing technological landscape and the vastly different business contexts in which these strategies are implemented, we will not focus on implementation and execution. Instead, this module aims to provide a conceptual understanding of the underlying principles of these marketing tactics.
- Mobile Media and Beyond the Screens
- In the 4th and the last module, you will first learn about mobile marketing strategies. We will discuss the impacts of digital technologies on other marketing channels beyond the screens. We will speculate and present the future of digital marketing communication by focusing on the rise of mix-reality technologies.