Creative Writing: The Craft of Setting and Description
- Persuasive Settings: Why Description Matters
- Writing a great short story is like conveying a dream. As we will see from studying one famous master, a "persuasive" setting is necessary in order to build mood, character, and even plot.
- If You Build It, They Will Come
- Pack your fiction with "vitamin-rich" detail. Looking at the work of both masters and students, we will discuss how funny, meaningful, and powerful details can be.
- Credibility and Research
- Create settings both familiar and unfamiliar to you, while avoiding common missteps. You will be guided through several meditation exercises as you practice "imaginative research".
- Setting and description works in realist and non-realist fiction, as well as across literary genres. Consider how to write about your own "primal landscape".