Classical Cryptosystems and Core Concepts
- Specialization Introduction
- This module covers an introduction of the specialization and instructors, covers what to expect from this educational experience and also, an introduction to the course Classical Cryptosystems and Core Concepts.
- Cryptographic Tidbits
- In this module we present an introduction to cryptography, differentiate between codes and ciphers, describe cryptanalysis, and identify the guiding principles of modern cryptography. After completing this course you will be able to read material related to cryptographic systems, understanding the basic terminology and concepts. You will also have an appreciation for the historical framework of modern cryptography and the difficulty of achieving its aims.
- Delving deeper into cryptanalysis, in this module we will discuss different types of attacks, explain frequency analysis and different use cases, explain the significance of polyalphabetical ciphers, and discuss the Vigenere Cipher. When you have completed this module, you will have an appreciation of the different types of attacks and under what kinds of situations each might be applicable.
- Hash Functions
- Continuing on our exploration of the fundamental concept of cryptography, this module will explain the Hash Function, its purpose and application, potential attack vectors, and the importance of hash functions on cryptographic design. Upon completion you will be able to understand the role that hash functions play in cryptography and how cryptographic hash functions differ from other types of hash functions.