City and Metropolitan Planning
The objective of the course is to impart knowledge related to planning of urban settlements. Considering the scale, typology hierarchy and the complexity pertaining to growth and development of Indian cities and the present inadequate capacity for planning the cities, this course would impart knowledge related to urbanization, city region linkages, planning history, theory, techniques of planning, concepts and approaches, processes, planning and development policies, types of plans, implementation of plans, projectization of these plans and case studies supplementing various aspects.
Upon Completion of this course, students will:
- Understand the dichotomy between the urban and natural environment and resources
- Understand the significance of city-region linkages and inter-dependence.
- Understand the complex nature of issues, process specifically at metro and mega cities scale.
- Understand how to develop indicators to measure various environmental, social and economic qualities of urban areas.
- Be familiar with concepts such as climate change, green infrastructure, transit oriented development
- Be familiar with approaches to human settlement planning
- Be familiar with major urban policies and programmes at various levels and how they impact a city’s development.
- Be familiar with acts and legal tools relevant to city planning.
- Be familiar with finance and management aspects of urban development.