Cameras, Exposure, and Photography
- WELCOME, OVERVIEW, and FUNDAMENTALS
- Welcome to the Module One of Course One, where we will begin our journey together to gain the knowledge and skills that will help you take control of your photography! The world of digital photography presents so many "tech" options that it can be quite confusing. Throughout this Course and Specialization, we will be sorting through the various functions, menus, and also the good old focus and exposure and camera craft aspects, so you can build a foundation for success. We'll start with some Basics, and keep building!
- Camera capabilities: differences and similarities
- In Module Two we will survey different types of digital cameras that are in widespread use today, discuss their different capabilities and characteristics, and help you determine which might be most appropriate for the uses you plan to make of your photographs. Whether you need to make photographs to capture the important moments of personal experience with friends and family, or need to make photographs for purposes related to your employment or small business, you will find an overview of information to help you here. Along with the time you spend learning about cameras, you should continue to experiment with your own camera and your own interest in photography!
- Setting up yourself and your digital camera: Menus, Settings, and baggage!
- In Module Three you will be guided through the critical steps of "Setting Up" your Digital Camera. Digital cameras of all types offer many options to choose from, allowing you to customize the way the pictures are recorded and to be more successful in achieving your goals in photography. This is NOT just a checklist of functions, simply guiding you as to which buttons to push! You will learn the practical significance of what the settings mean and how they impact the way a picture looks, and how your camera works. You will understand not only HOW but also WHY! Whether you have a brand new camera or have been making digital photographs for a while, this information is critical to your success.
- Picture Decisions: The Vantage Point and Frame
- In Module Four we will turn to concepts related to the way photographs look, and how practical decisions that are unique to photography can have dramatic effect in terms of what their creative content might be. We examine the aspects of Vantage Point and Frame as essential choices that must be made by photographers no matter what their ultimate goal for image-making. We also introduce the Peer Review process for paid-Learners, and the ways we can learn about our own ideas through using "terms of art" in written reviews the photographs of fellow Learners.