Applying Data Analytics in Accounting
- MODULE 1: SURVEY OF ANALYTICS TOPICS IN ACCOUNTING
- In this module, we provide a broad overview of the role of accounting as it interacts with data analytics and new technological advances. We begin by understanding what accounting is and the environment surrounding it. We then introduce you to the recent trends in the technology of accounting. We conclude the module with a discussion of three important topics in accounting - cybersecurity, process mining, and blockchain.
- MODULE 2: CONTROLS AND AUDITING
- This module introduces you to important concepts related to auditing. We begin by reviewing the different types of technology that can be used by the auditors to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of audits. We then examine how and why mistakes or fraud occur. We also discuss how internal controls can be placed to prevent misstatements. Finally, we demonstrate the control test workflow using a real-world dataset in both Alteryx Designer and RStudio.
- MODULE 3: TEXT PROCESSING AND ANALYSIS IN ACCOUNTING
- Numbers are everywhere in the financial statements. However, accounting is also about more than numbers. In this module, we discuss how text in accounting disclosure and other accounting information can contain useful information. We also demonstrate how to implement a basic natural language processing (NLP) pipeline using R.
- MODULE 4: ROBOT PROCESS AUTOMATION IN ACCOUNTING
- Accountants do many things that are standardized and mundane. This module introduces you to robotic process automation (RPA) that can be used to automate those routine tasks. We begin by looking at the definition of RPA and where it stands in the automation continuum. We then examine suitable tasks for RPA, steps in implementing RPA, and pros and cons associated with using RPA. We will also discuss the effect of RPA on accounting. We conclude the module with a demonstration of RPA using UiPath.